Has your Toastmasters club allowed you to meet all your initial goals for joining? If so, has it continued to meet your evolving goals since then? A quality club should be able to do that. If you’re interested in knowing if your club is a quality club or how to make it a quality club, check out the YouTube Quality Club Webinar.
LATEST PATHWAYS NEWS
We have our official notice. Pathways is to roll out for Region 1 in March 2018. We have our Pathways Guides!! They have all been notified and have received their kits. They will soon begin their training, and then will be scheduling site visits to every club. Pathways is an option for all Toastmasters who joined prior to the March launch. You will be able to continue with your current training plan for 2 years after all regions launch Pathways (expected to take you to at least June 30, 2020). The bonus for all current members is they can work on both the current system and Pathways and take advantage of both programs. There is an added bonus for any member, who is a member of more than one club prior to our launch; they will be able to receive a second free path (a USD $20 savings). It’s an exciting time for us all, although it might be a bit scary as we find our way along this new path. If you have any concerns or questions, please take advantage of the planned Pathways Guides visits.
To see who your club’s Pathways Guide is, check the attached.
Please support these dedicated Pathways Guides when they call. It will be an incredibly rewarding experience for all our members, new and old.
Train the Trainer (TtT) sessions have taken place in Nanaimo and Lower Mainland (Dec 9), Victoria (Dec 10) and Kelowna (Dec 16). 30 members were trained with 18 receiving “Approved” status right away with an 80% or greater evaluation. The remaining receiving conditional passes as they work on tweaking their skills. The interest was incredibly […]
Call For Conference Educational Session Presenters
Spring is around the corner [okay, it is a big corner!] and your District Conference 2018 Team is actively working on maintaining the high standard of Toastmasters conferences that the Okanagan is known for.
If your New Year’s resolutions include delivering a presentation at a District level conference, well then have we got an opportunity for you!
Are you interested in offering a workshop or cracker barrel session at the Spring 2018 Conference?
Do you have a creative and inspiring workshop in communication, leadership, toastmasters or personal development to share? Do you have other creative or valuable topics that you would like to present?
Join the Education Team at the District 21 Conference, in Kelowna on April 20-22, 2018.
Please note that our workshops will be 45 min sessions and Cracker Barrel will be 15 min sessions. As presenters, you can earn credit towards your education goals and expand your horizons.
We are also seeking Workshop Hosts to introduce Speakers.
Come join our Education Team and don’t miss this opportunity for a fun adventure.
Do you know someone who would be a great fit for these roles?
Pass it on! Spread the word! Send this to people you know that would make great presenters or hosts! And, let us know!
Contact the Education Chair, Rae Stonehouse email@example.com or 250-451-6564.
Imagine the Possibilities … Create Your Path!
Click here to download the 2018 District 21 Education Session Presentation Proposal Form.
Note: Last Submission Date: February 10, 2018
A decision has not yet been reached by the committee as to whether Cracker Barrel sessions will be held or not.
Yes, we need Coaches … and there are clubs that want those coaches.
Please send him your name to be added to the coaching staff for District 21.
Yes, there is a time limit to get a document bag for the coaches which is December 31, 2017.
However, once again Joe is being a nice guy. He has just announced to the District Director that the end date for coaches to get their names in will be January 31, 2018.
This will allow TI (Toastmasters International) to register the names that Joe is waiting on right now.
So … get on that list today. Become distinguished and receive that important credit for you Advanced Leader Silver Award.
Send your name in to Joe Guenette.
firstname.lastname@example.org or call him at 250- 815 – 0083
Thanks for all that you do! See the video for a quick review of current programs and a peek at what’s coming in the New Year. (read below for more details)
Here’s some more detail on pieces mentioned above. Interesting that there ended up being twelve (for the Twelve Days of Christmas!):
- Club Coaches (contact Joe Guenette HERE before Dec 31st UPDATE – moved to January 31st!):
- Be appointed as a club coach by Joe Guenette before midnight December 31st to receive that very convenient and covetous Toastmasters Document Bag.
- Be a “successful” club coach by June 1st (after dashboard moves to June) by your coached club achieving “Distinguished” status, and you’ll receive a the very handy and helpful portable charger (phones and other compatible electronic devices!)
- New Clubs:
- Submit a club lead and we will help you bring it to life. You can be as involved as you choose to be … and we think you’ll want to be involved, as that club lead will turn into a warm and wonderful Toastmasters Ladies/Mens Core Jacket for you if the club charters by February 28th!
- That new club immediately receives SWAG both from Toastmasters International and from District 21 to launch a successful journey, PLUS that club will receive a special gift of a lectern or timing lights from District 21 if they are Distinguished before mid-June. It possible! We’ll help them focus on their best steps. What a way to start a club’s legacy!
- The Club Treasure Hunt Adventure:
- Your team’s discovered treasure will find its way to you in surprising ways after each month closes. Check out your Treasure Map for the items you are hunting. (Hint – they each move your team toward a successful and rewarding year for ALL members.)
- Decorate your team’s Treasure Chest in a way that is uniquely your club! There will be a contest … and prizes … more to come in the New Year.
- Send in Your Team’s Tag Line
- “Toastmasters” can be hard to explain to a potential guest, but “Unleash the Humour Within” (Midnight Madness’ tag line) will speak to that person’s personal “Why” and make it easier for him/her to say “Yes” to your invitation. See the linked article to get started on crafting your team’s unique tag line and submit it to your Area Director or send to Carol Carter, your District Director ASAP!
- In January, the District will be printing “Area Promo Cards” with each Area’s clubs, tag lines, meeting dates and times, and contact info. We need YOUR team’s info no later than January 15th. Please make sure your Area Director has all the correct information about your club’s meetings! These cards will be used in any community promotion events – job fairs, farmers markets, libraries, malls, chamber events … dream up potential places together with your Area Council. A “rising tide floats all boats” and “Many hands make light work”.
- The District 21 COP Award (Club Outreach Program):
- Watch your team rise as you gain more “Brand New Baby Toastmasters” in your club. These people have never been a Toastmaster before. Have a look at the right hand column on the main page of d21toastmasters.org.
- The club with the most New-to-Toastmasters members who renew on April 1st will win the new, ENORMOUS (but conveniently light and portable) COP Award at our April 20-21 District 21 Annual Conference! You’ll also receive a permanent, beautiful scroll plaque, appreciating your efforts of introducing the Toastmasters transformation to so many new people in your community, ensuring the sustainability of Toastmasters in District 21.
- The District 21 Passport Program:
- Have you explored different clubs in your Area, Division and District? Have you visited a club outside District 21? Have you helped with a club, Ara or Division contest? Any of these (and more adventures) will gain you points in this years’ Passport Program. Keep your personal District 21 Passport with you at all times! You never know when an opportunity will come up! Make sure you receive a sticker or get that club/organizer to initial your passport.
- There’s a small gift for those who submit their passport in person at the April 20-22 Conference. You can still win first, second or third prize if you are not there in person. Send your Passport to the conference with a club member, or your Area or Division Director.
- Need a passport? Contact your club President. If the club needs extras, you can send a request to Carol Carter.
- Would you like to help coordinate the Passport Program? It runs until our April 20-22 D21 Annual Conference in Kelowna. Contact Carol Carter to get involved!
- 7 out of 7 (x2) Club Officers Trained Ribbon
- 34 teams had all 7 Club Officers trained in the Summer and are eligible to receive this Purple Present for their banner, plus special recognition at our Spring Conference if all 7 Club Officers are trained between December 1 and February 28th this Winter Training Season!
- Missed the Summer season target? No worries. Though we can’t give you a ribbon, your team will receive a purple “Above and Beyond Service” gem for your treasure chest. It’s still a worthy goal, especially as we’ve seen that clubs who get all officers trained tend to have more fun and achieve greater results in their team all year.
- Pathways is Coming!!!
- Pathways Guides are selected and are reciving their packages to help your team make the very best of the Pathways Program. See updates from Program Quality Director Shawn Gold and Pathways Chief Ambassador David Hobson!
- If you belong to a second club before Pathways officially launches (expected March 1st), you will receive a second FREE pathway! You need to complete 2 pathways to achieve your DTM in the new program.
- You can still keep completing the current program WHILE you start the new program! You have up to 2 years after the final Region roll out of the program is launched (likely you will have up to June 30th 2020).
- Toastmasters Month in British Columbia is February! (article will be posted as soon as declaration is in hand)
- The Province of BC is about to declare February Toastmasters Month in 2018! Are you ready to make the most of this opportunity? See Webmaster Rae Stonehouse’s helpful video on how to get a proclamation of your own from your local Mayor’s office or other official.
- Is your information up to date on ALL your web assets, including your official listing at Toastmasters.org? Sima Saxena will be heading up a team who will be checking and giving you helpful feedback. In the meantime, imagine you are looking for a club near you and you discover your club’s webpage, facebook page, meetup listing, or do a club search on toastmasters.org. Will what they find frustrate them or draw them one step closer to coming to your next meeting?
- Contest Season – International Speech and Evaluation Speech Contests!
- Would you like to challenge yourself to a whole new level of Speaking and evaluating? Nothing sharpens your skills like CONTEST SEASON! Starting with Club Contests in February, then Area Contests in March, and Division Contests the beginning of April, he District Finals will take place at our April 20-22 District 21 Annual Conference in Kelowna. Ask you VP Ed for infomation about how to compete this year!
- Want to chair a club contest? It’s a project in your CL manual! Click on the various contests and download the “Digital File” for FREE (bottom of each contest page) at the Toastmasters International store here for all you need to run a successful Club Contest.
- Spring Conference … or The District 21 2018 Annual Conference:
- Per Toastmasters International, we’ve gone back to annual District Conferences. This means, our District’s ONE special time to learn, laugh and grow together is April 20-22 in Kelowna. It will be VERY special! Conference co-chairs Marion Gushu-Geiger and Caroline Ivey, together with their conference committee, are planning a spectacular event you will not want to miss! Sign up now at the Early Bird rate! Book your room at the Capri Hotel!
- The Rising Tide Challenge (article will be posted in January):
- At our District’s Annual Conference there will be a very special After Party event, where we’ll officially recognize members in all clubs who achieve the target of this challenge – Increase your membership by only 10% above your July 1st base as of the April 1st renewals. We will anxiously await the results as the dashboard reveals the April numbers. YOU and every member of your team could receive a very special “Care Package” and special recognition at our After Party Event! For team members not registered for the conference, they’ll receive a special invitation to join us for the After Party as well. Full details will be announced in January.
- Club Coaches (contact Joe Guenette HERE before Dec 31st UPDATE – moved to January 31st!):
You might very well be asking, “so what?”
As leaders of Toastmaster clubs, we need to be actively recruiting guests to visit our clubs so that we can convert them to members. New members are the lifeblood of any club.
The all time best way to attract guests to your club is to have your fellow members invite their friends, family and work colleagues to visit a club meeting and ‘check it out.’ The personal touch still works.
Arguably, the next best way is leveraging the reach of the internet to share your message.
People in your communities are searching the internet for solutions to their shyness, fear of public speaking, lack of self-confidence and a desire to improve their communication & leadership skills.
Social media can be a great way to share the celebrations and successes of your club.
YouTube, spans the gap between social media and the search engines.
Video is the latest ‘hot item’ and is in reach of the average person. Most people can capture high quality video easily on their smart phone and upload it to their YouTube account.
YouTube allows the insertion of key words and descriptions of your uploaded videos that get featured in the search engine results.
As your D21 Webmaster & your Public Relations Manager, I have taken on the challenge of raising the visibility of our district’s clubs and our members. My goal is to have the D21 YouTube Channel to be the best of all the Districts and have our videos come up first in the search engine results. This in turn will increase the visibility of our clubs, so that when someone is checking out Toastmasters in your community, your club info will be presented.
Here is how that is going to happen… I have reorganized the D21 YouTube Channel to feature highly focused Playlists. Playlists are collections of videos, based on a common theme.
At this time, there are more than sixty videos featured in the following Playlists: Membership Building, D21 Toastmasters Members Speeches, Communication Skill Development, TM speeches from around the world, World Champion of Public Speaking videos and Public Relations. More are in development.
This is your opportunity to share a video from your club meeting or perhaps an Area, Division or District event.
All you need to do is upload your video to YouTube and then e-mail me with the url i.e. the weblink. Please include details of the video. Example: who is featured in the video, the nature of the event, the date and the club name. This is your opportunity to share your success stories and your celebrations.
Our D21 Toastmasters channel can be reached at https://www.youtube.com/user/TMDistrict21
Please subscribe to the channel so you can keep up-to-date on new videos being posted.
And Toastmasters are social. Don’t forget to Like & Share, the love.
In addition, if you know of a good video that hasn’t been included in our collection, just pass the url on to me. Rae Stonehouse email@example.com
Thanks for your time and future assistance.
See you in the movies!
Rae Stonehouse DTM PDG
Webmaster & Public Relations Manager (17-18)
Merry Christmas D21,
Success for you personally, for your clubs and for your Divisions, in this amazing life-altering, leadership building and communication changing way of life that we all love so dearly and hold closely to our hearts, called Toastmasters.
May you have all your goals you have set for the year be achieved and your dreams come true. Toastmasters can help make dreams come true!
As your D21 Club Growth Director, I am tasked with ensuring that our district grows new clubs throughout the year and that our existing clubs remain healthy. Together we can be successful in achieving that goal.
I wish you success when you go out into your communities to start new clubs, in knowing that you will share the feelings of joy, companionship for your fellow members and to have the excitement of watching a brand-new Toastmaster give their first speech in a club environment … that you built.
The District Team is not going to come in and say “we’ll take it from here!” This is your Baby however, we are here to help with the babysitting if that’s needed. We have many resources to help you in your success as a sponsor. Remember, there is a beautiful Jacket just for you if you sponsor a club by the end of February 2017.
If you haven’t already started a club you won’t know that feeling. Fortunately, I have and I can attest that it is the next best thing to seeing your own child brought into this world. Just think for a minute, you have created something which people who you don’t know are going to be a part of. That’s kind of scary, but scary in a good way.
You get to see these babies grow before your eyes. You can evaluate their speeches, mentor them along their path to their own successes and know that a little part of you will be with them for the rest of their lives. It’s a great feeling knowing that your name will be in their vocabulary for years to come. What an honor it is to be their guiding light.
We are fast approaching that time of year where many clubs start to slow down a bit for the holiday season but at the same time this is a critical time of year to bring in some help. Santa Claus has his elves, I have my Club Coaches. However, I still need more coaches.
It is my belief that every club should have an opportunity to be successful. District 21 coaches can and will help you to reach the success that you so deserve. I’m not going to taint this message with stats or numbers, I’m just going to say we need helpers and for the clubs who are struggling with members of 12 or lower, give yourself a Christmas present and ask Santa Joe for a coach.
If you become a coach by the end of December this year the District still has that Coaches Document bag that you will receive and if you are successful in helping a club achieve charter strength, by April 1, 2017 renewals you will receive a Toastmasters Power Bank at the Spring Conference as recognition for your hard work.
I’ll close with wishing everyone a merry festive season, however you celebrate. Then for the new year, I will issue you a challenge of helping grow our District, sharing the value of the Toastmasters experience and helping make your dreams and those of many others, come true.
Joe Guenette DTM
Aka ‘Santa Joe’
By now your club has hopefully had some little care package arrive through your Area Director with a Treasure Chest, a Map, and a letter about both the Passport Program and the Treasure Hunt Adventure. You might have even received a few little cards with “bling” attached.
This program is designed by Club Retention Chair, Jeff Galenzoski, to help your members, both new and not-so-new, have a year of exceptional personal growth, and a lot of fun along the way. Celebrating each member’s contribution to the success of the team is one way to spark more enthusiasm for doing all those little things that make a big difference to your member experience.
Here’s how it works:
- The Map – is your guide to where the “treasure” is. Explore the map! Go through it as a team. Display it at your meetings. Beside “Our Ship Be Named” write your club name and Tag Line. As you receive treasure, mark up the map with who brought in what! By June, this map should be marked up, starred, scribbled on with notes of encouragement, random art, and lots and lots of names!
- The Treasure Chest – is where you place the “bling” part of the rewards your team receives each month from the District. Have fun celebrating the bling! You could do Table Topics speeches by your contributors each month as they deposit their treasure in the team chest. DECORATE your team’s chest in unique ways! Make it a reflection of what your club is all about and the people you serve. At some point, we’ll be asking for Treasure Chest photos … more to come!
- The Treasure – Most is automatically rewarded by our District team as we watch the amazing things you continue to do – education awards, new members, new member sponsors, DTM’s, District Training events and Above and Beyond Service “bling” will be delivered to your club after the close of each month. There are a few exceptions we need help with:
- Someone on your team chairs a Membership Building Campaign – please forward their name and a blurb about the campaign (any materials the team produced, a link to the facebook or webpage, a flyer, a handout your members were working from) ASAP to Club Retention Chair and Mastermind of this project, Jeff Galenzoski.
- Your team launches a PR Campaign – please forward a summary of the PR Campaign and any supporting evidence (social media, newspaper, flyer, etc) to District Director, Carol Carter
- Have fun with this! Share the adventure! We’re looking for stories, facebook posts and other feedback on how you are using the Treasure Hunt Adventure to help your entire team succeed this year. A rising tide floats all boats. We’d also love to see a little friendly club rivalry going on (get creative!).
More questions? Contact Jeff or myself any time through the “Connect With Us” page.
Wishing you and your team Grand Adventures and much fun ahead!
Your 2017 – 2018 District Director, Carol Carter
Membership has its priviledges! As a member of Toastmasters, you are part of a large family of clubs around the world. Other than “closed” clubs (special organizations with requirements to belong) you are welcome to attend ANY of them. Have you explored your own backyard? How much of District 21 have you visited? How many new friends, valuable connections and brilliant ideas for your own club, are still waiting for you to discover?
Your District 21 Passport has a set of adventures waiting for you:
- Visit clubs and jot down ideas you’d like to try in your own club
- Visit Specialty and Advanced Clubs. Think of what type of member they could attract.
- Attend (extra point for helping out) a club contest in another club, your Area or your Division. Note new ways to enhance your own club contests.
- Attend a Toastmasters event – Workshop, Club Officer Training, Judge’s Training, Train-the-Trainer, Speaker-to-Trainer, and more. Would your club like to host a training event? Contact Program Quality Director Shawn Gold to find out how.
- Participate in a Speechcraft or a Youth Leadership Project
- Participate in a Demo Meeting for a potential new club
- Attend a District 21 Conference
The more Passport Pages you complete, the more points your passport is worth! Whether you’ve completed one adventure or all of them, make sure your Passport is handed in by you or someone else at the Spring Conference in Kelowna April 20 – 22. Pick up a SPECIAL GIFT if you deliver your passport in person at the Conference!
Besides the adventures and ah-ha’s, your SPECIAL GIFT, and all your new connections, there are prizes for the most points! Winners will be announced in our June 2018 e-Newsletter.
- 3rd Prize: a fun and functional Toastmasters Selfie-Stick
- 2nd Prize: a stylish and comfortable Toastmasters Core Jacket
- 1st Prize: … to be announced … but it’s BIG!
Your Passport should have been given to your club by your Area Director. If your club needs more Passports, please contact Carol Carter, your District Director.
Carry your Passport with you at all times! Share ideas you’ve jotted in its pages. Collect proof of your “travels” and make this year a Grand Adventure for you and all you meet along the way!
Warm wishes through these chilly winter months!
Your 2017 – 2018 Distict Director