You’ve asked for more information and so here is a handy one page summary of Pathways. It covers all 10 paths, all 5 levels and how to achieve your Pathways DTM. It’s a handy tool to carry with you.
You’ve scoured that 4 page document of 100’s of ways to build membership and conspired with your team. You’ve come up with a few brilliant ideas of your own. Toastmasters Month is the PERFECT time to take all those great ideas and put them into action!
To help your team gather around you and “make it so” we have issued the District 21 Club Campaign Challenge with some hefty prizes to be won! Just by taking action on your ideas, everyone already wins. Some of the best PR Campaigns will be featured on our District website to help ALL clubs discover new ways to get their learning opportunity in front of their ideal future members and guests.
The prizes are:
- 1st Place Winning Club – up to $125 US purchase at the Toastmasters International Store
- 2nd Place Winning Club – up to $95 US purchase at the Toastmasters International Store
- 3rd Place Winning Club – up to $70 US purchase at the Toastmasters International Store
All above prizes include shipping if purchase is submitted in our March 31st order
- Deadline for submissions is March 15th
- Winners will be announced by March 25th
- Winners TI Store Puchase requests are due by March 31st
What could your team get for $125? Check out the store at: https://www.toastmasters.org/shop
Judging Criteria (all submissions will be factored in to one club score):
- 20% WOW factor – “Wow, that’s a great campaign” includes quality and overall strategy
- 20% OOH factor – “Ooh! That’s unique!” includes different, interesting and creative
- 20% REACH factor – “That’s going to pay off” includes potential # of people reached
- 20% FUN factor – “I would have loved to be on that team” if we would have helped, it had to be fun!
- 20% TOUCH factor – “Connected in lots of ways” includes quanitity of campaigns or touch points
How to submit your club’s entries (ENTER OFTEN!!! MORE PR IS BETTER!):
Submit your club’s PR Camapaigns to Club PR Campaign Challenge Chair, Chrisine Manly through THIS form:
Have FUN with this Challenge! By sharing Toastmasters in your unique ways, you are creating that Rising Tide that floats ALL boats. Thank you for participating. We can’t wait to see what adventures your team creates!
Share Your Adventure!
Your 2017 – 2018 District 21 Director
You LOVE your club. Your members are your trusted friends. You learn, laugh, and sometimes cry together. There is nothing quite like a fellow trusted Toastmaster.
Each year lives change. People move. Their focus shifts. Family needs them in different ways. Life happens. Twice a year, some of your members might make that tough decision to stop learning in your club and focus on other areas of responsibility. While you never joined Toastmasters to promote Toastmasters, if you want your club to continue being that vibrant gathering each week, you need to find more potential fellow learners.
Create that Rising Tide that floats all boats.
Grow your club by 10% above your July 1st base as of the April 1st renewals (which we’ll see around April 8th) and your club WILL WIN:
- All your members’ names on the VIP Guest List of the Kelowna Spring Conference’s Saturday Night “AfterParty” event (it will be an event to remember!)
- A special Party Pack for your team to help you celebrate at the AfterParty event
- A Club Care Package to take back home with you. This Care Package will contain a collection of helpful resources and items to help you care for all those brand new members and sustain the growth you’ve achieved, keeping your club that fun, supportive and exciting learning opportunity you LOVE going to each week.
How do you find your July 1st base?
- Click on this link to view the District 21 Dashboard: http://dashboards.toastmasters.org/Club.aspx?id=21
- Scroll down to your Division and Area to find your club. You’ll see all of your DCP points, as well as your July 1st 2017 and your current membership.
- You can click on your club’s name to pull up a “one page” that focuses completely on your team. This is great for printing or displaying on a screen at meetings
How do you grow your team?
- We have a host of resources to offer. Browse this website, our YouTube Channel and the resources at Toastmaster International (and try not to get stuck in overwhelm). Just seize one or two ideas that connect with you and take action! Whatever you do will help create awareness and grow everyone who helps you. It’s never a waste to try different ways to promote your club opportunity to your community you serve.
- Reach out to your Area Director. He/she is committed to helping your club succeed and is dying for you to ask!
- Reach out to your Division Director to find out what District resources and events might help you.
- Conspire with your team through Moments of Truth. Decide how you want your club to function, what areas you could work together to improve and how you want to be perceived by your ideal future members
- Use your Passport! Visit other clubs and discover ideas you want to try out in your own club. Jot down your “Ah-Ha’s” and get your passport “stickered” or initialed! We’re offering a small appreciation gift for the chance to collect helpful data from your passport at the Spring Conference AND there’s 1st 2nd and 3rd prizes for the most points!
- Invite a member to chair a memberhip campaign
- Invite several members to chair PR campaigns with specific focuses.
- Ask a successful club in our District what they did to grow their membership. Great ideas are everywhere! Toastmasters love to share and help their fellow clubs succeed.
Looking forward to seeing YOU and your team in Kelowna and, if you can’t make Kelowna, hearing how your team chooses to celebrate your success, as well as use that Club Care Package!
Share YOUR Adventure!
Your 2017 – 2018 District 21 Director
Have you ever thought “I wish I’d found Toastmasters earlier in my career.”? I have. I also have vivid memories of wishing for some kind person who actually cares about me, not my wallet, to take me under his/her wing and show me some best next steps in the right direction.
Mentoring is one of the two main foundations of the Toastmasters Program, and with Pathways around the corner, it’s about to become even MORE foundational for us all.
For Toastmasters Month, we have invited Professional Business and Leadership Consultant and Coach, Jim McLaughlin, a fellow Toastmaster from California, to tour seven corners of our District. He will be sharing “The Power of Mentoring” in an interactive, engaging, high value 90 minute roll-up-your-sleeves workshop for early and mid-career professionals. I believe what he has put together will be of value to ANY person who still occasionally wishes that far-seeing Fairy Godmother would show up some wise words and a magic wand.
Here’s a golden opportunity to share with the career-minded people in your life, some of the key value of what Toastmasters has to offer.
Tickets are available for pre-purchase on Eventbrite for $15/each, until midnight the day before each event. After that, they are available for $20 at the door. Consider attending for your own benefit AND to share Toastmasters with curious attendees at the break. Talk to your Division Director about how to help make this a successful event for your club and your community!
More details will be linked to this article as they come available. So far, here are the links to the events on eventbrite:
- Monday evening, Feb 19th – Richmond 7:00pm – 9:00pm. Doors open at 6:30
- Tuesday evening, Feb 20th – Parksville 7:00pm – 9:00pm. Doors open at 6:30
- Wednesday evening, Feb 21st – Victoria 7:00pm – 9:00pm. Doors open at 6:30
- Thursday evening, Feb 22nd – Surrey 7:00pm – 9:00pm. Doors open at 6:30
- Friday evening, Feb 23rd – Kamloops 7:00pm – 9:00pm. Doors open at 6:30
- Saturday afternoon, Feb 24th – Kelowna 2:00pm – 4:00pm. Doors open at 1:30
For more information on Jim McLaughlin, you can download his pdf bio here: Bio-JimMcLaughlin1p
But truly the best way to share this opportunity is through these words:
“If I was at the point in my career that you are at right now, and this opportunity came along to learn how to ask for the help I need in a way that sets my entire future up for success over and over again … I would be at this event, pen and paper in hand, eating up every word, exercise, and opportunity to network.”
Take advantage of this brilliant opportunity to share what our founder, Dr. Ralph Smedley, knew so many years ago:
Share Your Adventure!
Your 2017 – 2018 District 21 Director
Welcome to Webinar Wednesdays! These webinars are an opportunity to connect to tools and resources that will help you and your team get the most out of the Toastmasters Program you are part of.
We are looking for topics YOU are most interested in! Click HERE to submit a topic you’d like featured.
We are looking for expert presenters for upcoming topics! Click HERE to submit a list of topics you would be happy to present or be part of the presentation on.
Upcoming Wednesday Webinars:
- February 21st – Video Marketing: The Wave of the Future for Promoting Toastmasters Clubs
- February 28th – A Sales Approach for Non-Salesy People: Promoting Your Club Without Being Icky
- March 7th – Open Houses vs Bring-A-Friend Nights: Who Will Win? Plus Guest “System” Ideas
Click on the above titles to see more information on the webinar registration pages.
You can attend live and participate in the chat area, ask questions in the Q&A, PLUS have fun with emoji’s and other interactive bits! (it IS fun!). Can’t attend live? Still sign up so you receive the recording within 24 hours of the session.
Hope to “see” you at an upcoming Wednesday!
Your 2017-2018 District 21 Director
(To contact me directly, click my head)
Imagine that very first club you discovered and joined, that place where you gained encouragement, helpful feedback and mentoring through your early speeches, never existed. What would your life be like today? Look how far you’ve come from that first day you walked through the door and experienced your first meeting.
We are searching for new club ideas and opportunities to share the transformation Toastmasters provides to more people in more corners of our District. Do you have a brilliant idea for a new club? Maybe it’s a
- community club where there’s an ideal space or central location;
- advanced club that can help members in your Area or Division accelerate their personal or professional growth;
- specialty club that could serve a niche market or help members achieve a specific goal; or
- corporate club in a company with 250+ employees
Send your club idea RIGHT AWAY to our Club Extension Chair, Gene Vickers. If your club is fully chartered before end of day
February 28th (just extended to the ides of March! – March 15th), you will become the proud owner of one of these stylish, Toastmasters branded core jackets!
Not sure you can charter a club in time? After March 15th, if your club charters before June 15th, you will receive a swanky Toastmasters Hooded Long Sleeve T-Shirt (They are sweeeeet!)
So … what’s your size?
Warmly and with great anticipation,
Carol Carter, DTM
Your District 21 Director 2017 – 2018
Toastmasters Month is all about appreciating this amazing program we enjoy, and “sharing the love” with our community. The Province of British Columbia has declared February 2018 as Toastmasters Month!
February is when many people, who have been pondering possible changes in their lives, start serious steps. It’s the perfect time to share Toastmasters any way you can.
Here are a few fun and fabulous things you and your fellow club members can do that will keep your club vibrant and alive through the bleak, cold, snowy months, and keep you sailing straight into Summer (LOTS OF LINKS AHEAD! Click the ones that inspire you the most!)
- Conspire on where to post your club’s Proclamation of Toastmasters Month. Laminate it, post it at your workplace with your info attached, Take a team photo with it and send your photo and the online link to the pdf copy (available at http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/proclamations/proclamations/TstMstrMnth2018) to your local Mayor, Newspaper or Radio Station. Make this a BIG DEAL … because it really is!
- Invite as many early and mid-year professionals as possible to business and leadership coach, Jim McLaughlin’s “The Power of Mentoring” event near you. This very special kind of training is not offered ANYWHERE else in our geographic region. I checked! The people who attend are likely looking for a place to gain safe and effective feedback and ongoing mentoring. We might just have what they are looking for …
- Scour the list of 100’s of Membership Building Ideas you were given at the Club Officer training and have different members choose different ways they would like to promote the Toastmasters Opportunity to your Potential Future Members.
- Take action on as many different outreach and PR ideas as you can and enter all your campaigns in the Club PR Campaign Challenge! Deadline for submissions is March 15th. Winning Clubs will receive their prize at the Spring Conference. Each campaign will ALSO be gettin’ ye a bit ‘o bling for yer Treasure Chest. Arrr!
- Talk Up Toastmasters! Whether you are attracting brand-new-never-before members (qualify for the Club Outreach Program) or ANY potential member (returning after a full season away, dual member, new-to-you member or brand new member), with just 5 added to your team between Feb 1st and March 31st, you receive a gift from Toastmasters International!
- Is your team having fun? Putting on quality meetings? Celebrating every win of every member? Do a team survey or do a Moments of Truth session and collaborate on how to make your club irresistable!
- The more irresistable you are, the more likely your team will achieve the Rising Tide 10% Growth Challenge at dues renewal time in April. We hope ALL clubs achieve this target so we can ALL celebrate at the Spring Conference Saturday Night AfterParty! Are you registered for the conference yet? Hint – The afterparty will take a whole other path … a Carribean Path!
- You have two more weeks to make sure all 7 Club Officers in your club are trained if so and if you are on THIS LIST, you’ll receive some “Banner Bling” at the Spring Conference. Not on the list? You’ll still receive a wee bit ‘o purple for ye ol’ Treasure Chest!
- Explore! Visit other clubs, help with their speech contests, jot down your “Ah-ha’s” and GET YOUR PASSPORT stamped everywhere you go!
- Can’t get out? Sign up for a fun and interesting Webinar Wednesday event you can enjoy from the comfort of your computer, tablet or Smartphone, while holding a toasty beverage to fight the winter chills.
- Celebrate the bling your team receives for all your January adventures. Make your club’s Treasure Chest special. Mark up your Treasure Map. Have fun with the Club Treasure Hunt Adventure
- Find your team on the District 21 page of the Leo Board, locate another club with the same membership and DCP goal level as you and challenge them to a race to Distinguished! (or celebrate your success if you know you’re already there!). Pat other clubs on the back as you go! Here are a few clubs to celebrate already: http://d21toastmasters.org/langley-toastmasters-first-10-dcp-year-theres/
- Find a demographic, a pocket of population or a special interest group that has not yet discovered the benefits of Toastmasters. Submit that Potential New Club Lead to Club Extension Chair Gene Vickers or Club Growth Director Joe Guenette. If your lead becomes a club by March 15th, you get a jacket! if after March 15th but before June q15th, you get a Toastmasters hooded shirt!
Challenge yourself, learn, laugh, have loads of fun and make the most of this Toastmasters Month. YOU and your Toastmaster experience is what truly makes our clubs “The Place 2 B” (a little PQD Shawn Goldism).
Share Your Adventure!
Your 2017 – 2018 District 21 Director
Well, if it does … we have good news for you. Our call for educational session presenters for the 2018 D21 Spring Conference in Kelowna, has been extended until February 18th!
So, if you have been too busy with Toastmasters activities that our last deadline passed you by, then this will be great news.
We are looking for proposals from experienced Toastmasters to deliver educational sessions that will be of interest to our conference attendees and be related to communication & leadership skill development and/or of general interest. You might consider tag-teaming with another Toastmaster as co-presenters.
We have also confirmed that we will be holding Cracker Barrel Sessions. If you aren’t familiar with the term, they are quick 20-minute presentations. As a Presenter you will deliver your presentation three times, back-to-back. Your audience chooses which presentation they want to attend and participate in. If you are looking for a challenging speaking opportunity … dare to be a Cracker Barrel Presenter.
Join our Education Team and don’t miss this opportunity for a fun adventure.
Pass it on! Spread the word! Forward this to people you know that would make great presenters. And, let us know!
Contact the Education Chair, Rae Stonehouse email@example.com or 250-451-6564.
Imagine the Possibilities … Create Your Path!
Click here to download the 2018 District 21 Education Session Presentation Proposal Form.
Note: Last Submission Date: February 18th, 2018@ midnight.
District 21’s last Spring Conference and first Annual Conference will be taking place in Kelowna April 20th – 22nd. Register now for a fun and exciting weekend in beautiful wine country. We are looking for clubs to put together gift baskets for the silent auction fund raiser. Consider a theme night where you bring and assemble goodies for a basket or two, or three. It’s a great way to re-gift and participate in the conference planning, in a small, but incredibly meaningful way. See you there!!