In our ACT 2 (second round of club officer training) we trained 622 club officers. 108 of 149 clubs were able to train 4 or more club officers and 25 clubs trained all 7 club officers. In our summer training ACT 1, we had 34 clubs with all 7 officers trained. 17 clubs were able to train all 7 officers in both sessions resulting in being entitled to the prestigious 7×2 award ribbon. Congratulations to:
Genojabbers A1 -1501250, Night Hawks A3- 813223, Goldstream A4 – 5952, Royal Roads A4 – 2262553, Sooke Harbour A4 – 1472411, Cowichan A5 – 950, Island Excellence C21 – 4469753, Global Speakers E42 – 9868, Richmond E42 – 5488, White Rock Evening F50 – 9516, Finding Vino F50 -3844160, The Professional Edge F51 – 1158953, Kwantlen F52 – 2228252, Toastmentors G63 – 845571, Nelson Fresh Tracks K81 – 6196, Kelowna City Hall K83 – 693235, Morning Sun L92 – 9073
Found this and thought it would be appropriate for any Toastmaster conference or other event with a formal dinner.
Toasting the Queen
Proper procedures for giving a toast.
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is the Queen of Canada. On formal occasions, particularly formal dinners, it is customary to toast Her Majesty at a suitable point in the proceedings.
The following is the usual procedure:
- After the entre has been cleared and before dessert has been served, the host or the toastmaster rises and asks for the attention of those present so that they may join in a toast to Her Majesty, the Queen. He/She asks the guests to rise. Once all have risen the toastmaster raises his/her glass and says:
“The Queen, La Reine”
without any other words and without music.
- Those present respond:
“The Queen, La Reine”
drink the toast and sit. It is not appropriate to click glasses.
- Members of the Royal Family do not participate in nor respond to the toast.
- Generally any beverage may be used for the loyal toast with the exception of cocktails. However, it is preferred to drink the toast with wine or water.
- The Loyal Toast is always the first one to be proposed. No other toasts should be proposed until the loyal toast has been made.
Occasionally, the Loyal Toast may be made at another point in the programme; however, in all circumstances the Loyal Toast should be the first proposed.
So many exciting things happening: Accredited Speaker Bob Hooey and International Director Mary Morrison will add to the great education sessions, delicious food and networking, amazing speakers and evaluators, fun and exciting contests and District officer elections. Register now for great rates and remember to help your club create a basket for the silent auction. There is also going to be a special celebration Saturday night that you won’t want to miss. Visit our spring conference website http://d21springconference.ca/
You’ve asked for more information and so here is a handy one page summary of Pathways. It covers all 10 paths, all 5 levels and how to achieve your Pathways DTM. It’s a handy tool to carry with you.
You’ve scoured that 4 page document of 100’s of ways to build membership and conspired with your team. You’ve come up with a few brilliant ideas of your own. Toastmasters Month is the PERFECT time to take all those great ideas and put them into action!
To help your team gather around you and “make it so” we have issued the District 21 Club Campaign Challenge with some hefty prizes to be won! Just by taking action on your ideas, everyone already wins. Some of the best PR Campaigns will be featured on our District website to help ALL clubs discover new ways to get their learning opportunity in front of their ideal future members and guests.
The prizes are:
- 1st Place Winning Club – up to $125 US purchase at the Toastmasters International Store
- 2nd Place Winning Club – up to $95 US purchase at the Toastmasters International Store
- 3rd Place Winning Club – up to $70 US purchase at the Toastmasters International Store
All above prizes include shipping if purchase is submitted in our March 31st order
- Deadline for submissions is March 19th (extended from 15th)
- Winners will be announced by March 25th
- Winners TI Store Puchase requests are due by March 31st
What could your team get for $125? Check out the store at: https://www.toastmasters.org/shop
Judging Criteria (all submissions will be factored in to one club score):
- 20% WOW factor – “Wow, that’s a great campaign” includes quality and overall strategy
- 20% OOH factor – “Ooh! That’s unique!” includes different, interesting and creative
- 20% REACH factor – “That’s going to pay off” includes potential # of people reached
- 20% FUN factor – “I would have loved to be on that team” if we would have helped, it had to be fun!
- 20% TOUCH factor – “Connected in lots of ways” includes quanitity of campaigns or touch points
How to submit your club’s entries (ENTER OFTEN!!! MORE PR IS BETTER!):
Submit your club’s PR Camapaigns to Club PR Campaign Challenge Chair, Chrisine Manly through THIS form:
Have FUN with this Challenge! By sharing Toastmasters in your unique ways, you are creating that Rising Tide that floats ALL boats. Thank you for participating. We can’t wait to see what adventures your team creates!
Share Your Adventure!
Your 2017 – 2018 District 21 Director
You LOVE your club. Your members are your trusted friends. You learn, laugh, and sometimes cry together. There is nothing quite like a fellow trusted Toastmaster.
Each year lives change. People move. Their focus shifts. Family needs them in different ways. Life happens. Twice a year, some of your members might make that tough decision to stop learning in your club and focus on other areas of responsibility. While you never joined Toastmasters to promote Toastmasters, if you want your club to continue being that vibrant gathering each week, you need to find more potential fellow learners.
Create that Rising Tide that floats all boats.
Grow your club by 10% above your July 1st base as of the April 1st renewals (which we’ll see around April 8th) and your club WILL WIN:
- All your members’ names on the VIP Guest List of the Kelowna Spring Conference’s Saturday Night “AfterParty” event (it will be an event to remember!)
- A special Party Pack for your team to help you celebrate at the AfterParty event
- A Club Care Package to take back home with you. This Care Package will contain a collection of helpful resources and items to help you care for all those brand new members and sustain the growth you’ve achieved, keeping your club that fun, supportive and exciting learning opportunity you LOVE going to each week.
How do you find your July 1st base?
- Click on this link to view the District 21 Dashboard: http://dashboards.toastmasters.org/Club.aspx?id=21
- Scroll down to your Division and Area to find your club. You’ll see all of your DCP points, as well as your July 1st 2017 and your current membership.
- You can click on your club’s name to pull up a “one page” that focuses completely on your team. This is great for printing or displaying on a screen at meetings
How do you grow your team?
- We have a host of resources to offer. Browse this website, our YouTube Channel and the resources at Toastmaster International (and try not to get stuck in overwhelm). Just seize one or two ideas that connect with you and take action! Whatever you do will help create awareness and grow everyone who helps you. It’s never a waste to try different ways to promote your club opportunity to your community you serve.
- Reach out to your Area Director. He/she is committed to helping your club succeed and is dying for you to ask!
- Reach out to your Division Director to find out what District resources and events might help you.
- Conspire with your team through Moments of Truth. Decide how you want your club to function, what areas you could work together to improve and how you want to be perceived by your ideal future members
- Use your Passport! Visit other clubs and discover ideas you want to try out in your own club. Jot down your “Ah-Ha’s” and get your passport “stickered” or initialed! We’re offering a small appreciation gift for the chance to collect helpful data from your passport at the Spring Conference AND there’s 1st 2nd and 3rd prizes for the most points!
- Invite a member to chair a memberhip campaign
- Invite several members to chair PR campaigns with specific focuses.
- Ask a successful club in our District what they did to grow their membership. Great ideas are everywhere! Toastmasters love to share and help their fellow clubs succeed.
Looking forward to seeing YOU and your team in Kelowna and, if you can’t make Kelowna, hearing how your team chooses to celebrate your success, as well as use that Club Care Package!
Share YOUR Adventure!
Your 2017 – 2018 District 21 Director
Have you ever thought “I wish I’d found Toastmasters earlier in my career.”? I have. I also have vivid memories of wishing for some kind person who actually cares about me, not my wallet, to take me under his/her wing and show me some best next steps in the right direction.
Mentoring is one of the two main foundations of the Toastmasters Program, and with Pathways around the corner, it’s about to become even MORE foundational for us all.
For Toastmasters Month, we have invited Professional Business and Leadership Consultant and Coach, Jim McLaughlin, a fellow Toastmaster from California, to tour seven corners of our District. He will be sharing “The Power of Mentoring” in an interactive, engaging, high value 90 minute roll-up-your-sleeves workshop for early and mid-career professionals. I believe what he has put together will be of value to ANY person who still occasionally wishes that far-seeing Fairy Godmother would show up some wise words and a magic wand.
Here’s a golden opportunity to share with the career-minded people in your life, some of the key value of what Toastmasters has to offer.
Tickets are available for pre-purchase on Eventbrite for $15/each, until midnight the day before each event. After that, they are available for $20 at the door. Consider attending for your own benefit AND to share Toastmasters with curious attendees at the break. Talk to your Division Director about how to help make this a successful event for your club and your community!
More details will be linked to this article as they come available. So far, here are the links to the events on eventbrite:
- Monday evening, Feb 19th – Richmond 7:00pm – 9:00pm. Doors open at 6:30
- Tuesday evening, Feb 20th – Parksville 7:00pm – 9:00pm. Doors open at 6:30
- Wednesday evening, Feb 21st – Victoria 7:00pm – 9:00pm. Doors open at 6:30
- Thursday evening, Feb 22nd – Surrey 7:00pm – 9:00pm. Doors open at 6:30
- Friday evening, Feb 23rd – Kamloops 7:00pm – 9:00pm. Doors open at 6:30
- Saturday afternoon, Feb 24th – Kelowna 2:00pm – 4:00pm. Doors open at 1:30
For more information on Jim McLaughlin, you can download his pdf bio here: Bio-JimMcLaughlin1p
But truly the best way to share this opportunity is through these words:
“If I was at the point in my career that you are at right now, and this opportunity came along to learn how to ask for the help I need in a way that sets my entire future up for success over and over again … I would be at this event, pen and paper in hand, eating up every word, exercise, and opportunity to network.”
Take advantage of this brilliant opportunity to share what our founder, Dr. Ralph Smedley, knew so many years ago:
Share Your Adventure!
Your 2017 – 2018 District 21 Director
Well, if it does … we have good news for you. Our call for educational session presenters for the 2018 D21 Spring Conference in Kelowna, has been extended until February 18th!
So, if you have been too busy with Toastmasters activities that our last deadline passed you by, then this will be great news.
We are looking for proposals from experienced Toastmasters to deliver educational sessions that will be of interest to our conference attendees and be related to communication & leadership skill development and/or of general interest. You might consider tag-teaming with another Toastmaster as co-presenters.
We have also confirmed that we will be holding Cracker Barrel Sessions. If you aren’t familiar with the term, they are quick 20-minute presentations. As a Presenter you will deliver your presentation three times, back-to-back. Your audience chooses which presentation they want to attend and participate in. If you are looking for a challenging speaking opportunity … dare to be a Cracker Barrel Presenter.
Join our Education Team and don’t miss this opportunity for a fun adventure.
Pass it on! Spread the word! Forward this to people you know that would make great presenters. And, let us know!
Contact the Education Chair, Rae Stonehouse email@example.com or 250-451-6564.
Imagine the Possibilities … Create Your Path!
Click here to download the 2018 District 21 Education Session Presentation Proposal Form.
Note: Last Submission Date: February 18th, 2018@ midnight.