It has been an honour to serve you this year. Thank you so much members of District 21 for your hard work in your clubs and greater community this past year. Together we have accomplished mountains towards our goals and had a lot of fun along the way. As we move into a new fiscal year let’s not forget the importance of continuous improvement and finding ways to grow as communicators and leaders.
Summer’s here, and it can be one of the best times to grow. Take advantage of the sun and ability to use it for the benefit of your club.
It is always a challenge to keep members engaged as the outdoor heat is attracting people to activities in the sun. So, how can we keep the energy and growth up in our clubs over the summer? Here are a few ideas…
- Organize a Barbecue at a members home and run a Toastmasters meeting with food and drinks. Encourage members to bring friends and family.
- Picnic in a park with speeches. Take your club banner to gain some free Public Relations for your club by other park attendees.
- Do an evening movie screening of Speak (2011), a documentary on the World Championship of Public Speaking. This can be run as the sun sets and the whole community invited.
- Camping trip! What a great way to combine the importance of fellowship with a Toastmasters meeting around the campfire.
- Discuss with club members the option of changing meeting time or frequency for the summer months to allow learning and outdoor time balance.
- Attend a summer Farmers’ Market to promote your club and do some speeches for attendees.
Yours in Service,
Michael Bown, DTM
Club Growth Director, District 21 2016-2017