Find an archive of the District’s posts below:
The Results Are In! Club Care kits and Party Packs will be at the Conference for these winning clubs!
23 clubs rose at least 10% above their July 1st base as of April 1st dues renewals! Wishing you had a few more helping hands on your team? Craving new energy, new stories and new perspectives in your meetings? Reach out and ask these clubs how they grew. Pilfer great ideas! Toastmasters is all about peers helping peers succeed. A”Rising Tide” floats ALL boats.
Please help me congratulate (in order of Division and Area):
- West Coast Toastmasters, Div A, Area 2 – rose from 8 to 13 (38%)
- Royal Roads Toastmasters, Div A, Area 4 – rose from 8 to 11 (27%)
- Silverbridge Toastmasters, Div A, Area 5 – rose from 20 to 25 (25%)
- Revenue Ramblers Toastmasters Club, Div B, Area 13 – rose from 15 t0 17 (13%)
- Uplands Lunch Bunch Toastmasters Club, Div C, Area 20 – rose from 15 to 18 (20%)
- Toastmasters on the Hill Club, Div C, Area 20 – rose from 11 to 14 (27%)
- Richmond Friendly Toastmasters Club, Div E, Area 41 – rose from 10 to 14 (40%)
- enRICHed Speakers Toastmasters Club, Div E, Area 42 – rose from 13 to 20 (54%)
- Lightly Toasted, Div E, Area 42 – rose from 17 to 22 (29%)
- White Rock Club, Div F, Area 50 – rose from 21 to 25 (19%)
- Toastmasters By The Sea, Div F, Area 50 – rose from 11 to 15 (36%)
- The Word Toastmasters, Div F, Area 53 – rose from 12 to 16 (33%)
- Our Lady of Good Communicators, Div F, Area 54 – rose from 9 to 11 (22%)
- Rise And Shine Toastmasters Club, Div G, Area 60 – rose from 15 to 22 (47%)
- Power to Speak, Div G, Area 62 – rose from 25 to 29 (16%)
- Langley Toastmasters 2743, Div G, Area 63 – rose from 33 to 38 (15%)
- Kelowna Flying Solo Toastmasters, Div K, Area 80 – rose from 8 to 12 (50%)
- Kelowna Toastmasters – Westside Club #872, Div K, Area 80 – rose from 12 to 17 (42%)
- South Okanagan Toastmasters Club, Div K, Area 82 – rose from 14 to 16 (14%)
- Monday Night Vernon Toastmasters, Div L, Area 91 – rose from 17 to 21 (24%)
- High Country Achievers Club, Div L, Area 92 – rose from 12 to 17 (42%)
- Thompson Valley Advanced, Div L, Area 92 – rose from 8 to 9 (13%)
- Cranbrook First Club, Div L, Area 93 – rose from 8 to 9 (13%)
We still have a few more club care kits … Keep rising!
Not on the list? Keep growing! We budgeted for a few more clubs to achieve this challenge! We’re adding more winners to this list until April 15th or until the kits are gone, whichever happens first. Keep getting those renewals in! Welcome those potential guests to attend your next meeting and ask them if this program could help them succeed!
See details of the Contest below:
You LOVE your club. Your members are your trusted friends. You learn, laugh, and sometimes cry together. There is nothing quite like a fellow trusted Toastmaster.
Each year lives change. People move. Their focus shifts. Family needs them in different ways. Life happens. Twice a year, some of your members might make that tough decision to stop learning in your club and focus on other areas of responsibility. While you never joined Toastmasters to promote Toastmasters, if you want your club to continue being that vibrant gathering each week, you need to find more potential fellow learners.
Create that Rising Tide that floats all boats.
Grow your club by 10% above your July 1st base as of the April 1st renewals (which we’ll see around April 8th) and your club WILL WIN:
- All your members’ names on the VIP Guest List of the Kelowna Spring Conference’s Saturday Night “AfterParty” event (it will be an event to remember!)
- A special Party Pack for your team to help you celebrate at the AfterParty event
- A Club Care Package to take back home with you. This Care Package will contain a collection of helpful resources and items to help you care for all those brand new members and sustain the growth you’ve achieved, keeping your club that fun, supportive and exciting learning opportunity you LOVE going to each week.
How do you find your July 1st base?
- Click on this link to view the District 21 Dashboard: http://dashboards.toastmasters.org/Club.aspx?id=21
- Scroll down to your Division and Area to find your club. You’ll see all of your DCP points, as well as your July 1st 2017 and your current membership.
- You can click on your club’s name to pull up a “one page” that focuses completely on your team. This is great for printing or displaying on a screen at meetings
How do you grow your team?
- We have a host of resources to offer. Browse this website, our YouTube Channel and the resources at Toastmaster International (and try not to get stuck in overwhelm). Just seize one or two ideas that connect with you and take action! Whatever you do will help create awareness and grow everyone who helps you. It’s never a waste to try different ways to promote your club opportunity to your community you serve.
- Reach out to your Area Director. He/she is committed to helping your club succeed and is dying for you to ask!
- Reach out to your Division Director to find out what District resources and events might help you.
- Conspire with your team through Moments of Truth. Decide how you want your club to function, what areas you could work together to improve and how you want to be perceived by your ideal future members
- Use your Passport! Visit other clubs and discover ideas you want to try out in your own club. Jot down your “Ah-Ha’s” and get your passport “stickered” or initialed! We’re offering a small appreciation gift for the chance to collect helpful data from your passport at the Spring Conference AND there’s 1st 2nd and 3rd prizes for the most points!
- Invite a member to chair a memberhip campaign
- Invite several members to chair PR campaigns with specific focuses.
- Ask a successful club in our District what they did to grow their membership. Great ideas are everywhere! Toastmasters love to share and help their fellow clubs succeed.
Looking forward to seeing YOU and your team in Kelowna and, if you can’t make Kelowna, hearing how your team chooses to celebrate your success, as well as use that Club Care Package!
Share YOUR Adventure!
Your 2017 – 2018 District 21 Director
Welcome to Webinar Wednesdays! These webinars are an opportunity to connect to tools and resources that will help you and your team get the most out of the Toastmasters Program you are part of.
We are looking for topics YOU are most interested in! Click HERE to submit a topic you’d like featured.
We are looking for expert presenters for upcoming topics! Click HERE to submit a list of topics you would be happy to present or be part of the presentation on.
Our sessions are getting better and better! Here’s a list of upcoming Wednesday Webinars:
- April 4th – Club Coaching that Brings Teams Together and Achieves Results – host: Club Retention Chair Jeff Galenzoski and Region 1 Advisor Mary Swanson, DTM
- April 11th – Speech Evaluations That Keep Members Motivated – host: Program Quality Director Shawn Gold with panel of guest contributors
- April 18th – Parliamentary Procedure Can Be FUN! – hosts: District Director Carol Carter and District Parliamentarian Joanne Morrison, DTM, PG
- April 25th – NO WEBINAR (a wee breather following the Spring Conference)
- What do YOU want to learn more about in May? Click the links at the beginning of this article to share ideas or volunteer to be one of our presenters!
Click on the above titles to see more information on the webinar registration pages.
You can attend live and participate in the chat area, ask questions in the Q&A, PLUS have fun with emoji’s and other interactive bits! (it IS fun!). Can’t attend live? Still sign up so you receive the recording within 24 hours of the session.
Want to view past Webinar Wednesdays? click HERE
Hope to “see” you at an upcoming Wednesday!
Your 2017-2018 District 21 Director
(To contact me directly, click my head)
In our ACT 2 (second round of club officer training) we trained 622 club officers. 108 of 149 clubs were able to train 4 or more club officers and 25 clubs trained all 7 club officers. In our summer training ACT 1, we had 34 clubs with all 7 officers trained. 17 clubs were able to train all 7 officers in both sessions resulting in being entitled to the prestigious 7×2 award ribbon. Congratulations to:
- Genojabbers A1 -1501250,
- Night Hawks A3- 813223,
- Goldstream A4 – 5952,
- Royal Roads A4 – 2262553,
- Sooke Harbour A4 – 1472411,
- Cowichan A5 – 950,
- Island Excellence C21 – 4469753,
- Global Speakers E42 – 9868,
- Richmond E42 – 5488,
- White Rock Evening F50 – 9516,
- Finding Vino F50 -3844160,
- The Professional Edge F51 – 1158953,
- Kwantlen F52 – 2228252,
- Toastmentors G63 – 845571,
- Nelson Fresh Tracks K81 – 6196,
- Kelowna City Hall K83 – 693235,
- Morning Sun L92 – 9073
Imagine that very first club you discovered and joined, that place where you gained encouragement, helpful feedback and mentoring through your early speeches, never existed. What would your life be like today? Look how far you’ve come from that first day you walked through the door and experienced your first meeting.
We are searching for new club ideas and opportunities to share the transformation Toastmasters provides to more people in more corners of our District. Do you have a brilliant idea for a new club? Maybe it’s a
- community club where there’s an ideal space or central location;
- advanced club that can help members in your Area or Division accelerate their personal or professional growth;
- specialty club that could serve a niche market or help members achieve a specific goal; or
- corporate club in a company with 250+ employees
Send your club idea RIGHT AWAY to our Club Extension Chair, Gene Vickers. If your club is fully chartered before end of day June 14th, and you will become the proud owner of one of these swanky Toastmasters branded Hooded Long Sleeve T-Shirt (They are sweeeeet!)
BONUS: Your two Club Sonsors will each receive a new Pathway along with their hard-to-get credit toward their DTM at Toastmasters International.
So … what’s your size?
See all you need to know to charter a club HERE.
Warmly and with great anticipation,
Carol Carter, DTM
Your District 21 Director 2017 – 2018
So many exciting things happening: Accredited Speaker Bob Hooey and International Director Mary Morrison will add to the great education sessions, delicious food and networking, amazing speakers and evaluators, fun and exciting contests and District officer elections. Register now for great rates and remember to help your club create a basket for the silent auction. There is also going to be a special celebration Saturday night that you won’t want to miss. Visit our spring conference website http://d21springconference.ca/
You’ve scoured that 4 page document of 100’s of ways to build membership and conspired with your team. You’ve come up with a few brilliant ideas of your own. Toastmasters Month is the PERFECT time to take all those great ideas and put them into action!
To help your team gather around you and “make it so” we have issued the District 21 Club Campaign Challenge with some hefty prizes to be won! Just by taking action on your ideas, everyone already wins. Some of the best PR Campaigns will be featured on our District website to help ALL clubs discover new ways to get their learning opportunity in front of their ideal future members and guests.
The prizes are:
- 1st Place Winning Club – up to $125 US purchase at the Toastmasters International Store
- 2nd Place Winning Club – up to $95 US purchase at the Toastmasters International Store
- 3rd Place Winning Club – up to $70 US purchase at the Toastmasters International Store
All above prizes include shipping if purchase is submitted in our March 31st order
- Deadline for submissions is March 19th (extended from 15th)
- Winners will be announced by March 25th
- Winners TI Store Puchase requests are due by March 31st
What could your team get for $125? Check out the store at: https://www.toastmasters.org/shop
Judging Criteria (all submissions will be factored in to one club score):
- 20% WOW factor – “Wow, that’s a great campaign” includes quality and overall strategy
- 20% OOH factor – “Ooh! That’s unique!” includes different, interesting and creative
- 20% REACH factor – “That’s going to pay off” includes potential # of people reached
- 20% FUN factor – “I would have loved to be on that team” if we would have helped, it had to be fun!
- 20% TOUCH factor – “Connected in lots of ways” includes quanitity of campaigns or touch points
How to submit your club’s entries (ENTER OFTEN!!! MORE PR IS BETTER!):
Submit your club’s PR Camapaigns to Club PR Campaign Challenge Chair, Chrisine Manly through THIS form:
Have FUN with this Challenge! By sharing Toastmasters in your unique ways, you are creating that Rising Tide that floats ALL boats. Thank you for participating. We can’t wait to see what adventures your team creates!
Share Your Adventure!
Your 2017 – 2018 District 21 Director
Well, if it does … we have good news for you. Our call for educational session presenters for the 2018 D21 Spring Conference in Kelowna, has been extended until February 18th!
So, if you have been too busy with Toastmasters activities that our last deadline passed you by, then this will be great news.
We are looking for proposals from experienced Toastmasters to deliver educational sessions that will be of interest to our conference attendees and be related to communication & leadership skill development and/or of general interest. You might consider tag-teaming with another Toastmaster as co-presenters.
We have also confirmed that we will be holding Cracker Barrel Sessions. If you aren’t familiar with the term, they are quick 20-minute presentations. As a Presenter you will deliver your presentation three times, back-to-back. Your audience chooses which presentation they want to attend and participate in. If you are looking for a challenging speaking opportunity … dare to be a Cracker Barrel Presenter.
Join our Education Team and don’t miss this opportunity for a fun adventure.
Pass it on! Spread the word! Forward this to people you know that would make great presenters. And, let us know!
Contact the Education Chair, Rae Stonehouse email@example.com or 250-451-6564.
Imagine the Possibilities … Create Your Path!
Click here to download the 2018 District 21 Education Session Presentation Proposal Form.
Note: Last Submission Date: February 18th, 2018@ midnight.
District 21’s last Spring Conference and first Annual Conference will be taking place in Kelowna April 20th – 22nd. Register now for a fun and exciting weekend in beautiful wine country. We are looking for clubs to put together gift baskets for the silent auction fund raiser. Consider a theme night where you bring and assemble goodies for a basket or two, or three. It’s a great way to re-gift and participate in the conference planning, in a small, but incredibly meaningful way. See you there!!
Greatness is happening in Division G! We have THREE clubs to celebrate!
Please help us congratulate Langley Toastmasters 2743, in Division G, Area 63! After attending Club Officer Training at the ACT event last Saturday, they received their final point to reach all 10 Distinguished Club Goals. With a healthy membership to date of 34 members, Langley Toastmasters is set to be Distinguished as soon as the April 1st renewals are counted at World Headquarters.
We have something else to celebrate. Out of 38 clubs on the planet, 2 clubs in District 21 keep reaching all 10 DCP points and having the membership levels to be Presidents Distinguished year after year. They’ve created a Club Culture of what Margaret Page calls “Documented Changes in People”. For the past 13 years of Mike Raffety’s tracking, here are the 38 clubs (click link). Please reach out and congratulate our own Division G, Area 62 clubs:
|8742||Good News Toastmasters Club|
Remember, our “Rising Tide” floats all boats. We’re here to help each other and keep Toastmasters sustainable in our wee corners of British Columbia. DO reach out not only to congratulate the clubs you see succeeding, but also to pick their brains on what’s possible for your club! We have much we can learn from each others’ successes! SHARE your brilliance! Help us all build an Amazing Adventure, and hopefully Share the Adventure with more potential future members.
Your 2017-2018 District 21 Director